Author's Academic Résumé and Publications
E D U C A T I O N
B.A., Wheaton College, Wheaton, IL
Ph.D., UCLA Biology Department
W O R K H I S T O R Y
Laboratory and Surgical Research Assistant, Brain Research Institute, University of California, Los Angeles
Research Technician, Max Planck Neuropsychiatric Institute, Munich, Germany
Chief Laboratory Technician, Pediatrics Department, University of California Los Angeles Medical School
Biology Professor, University of California, Los Angeles
Free-lance Writer, San Diego, CA
A W A R D S R E C E I V E D
- Smithsonian Postdoctoral Fellowship, 1969
- Student Research Grant, Chapman Fund, National Museum of Natural History, 1966
- Outstanding Student Paper Award, American Ornithologists Union, 1968
- Winner, NE Indiana Romance Authors, "Opening Gambit," Historical, Voice of the Goddess, 1999
- Winner, Sooner Area Romance Authors, "Shooting Star Award," Historical, Voice of the Goddess, 1999
- Winner, San Diego Book Awards, Unpublished Novelists, Voice of the Goddess, 1999
- Winner, San Diego Book Awards, Best Historical Novel, The Amazon and the Warrior, 2005
R E L E V A N T P U B L I C A T I O N S
- Winter, Ploog, and Hand. Vocal repertoire of the Squirrel Monkey (Saimiri sciureus), its analysis and significance. Experimental Brain Research 1: 359-384. 1966.
- Hand, Hopf, and Ploog. Observations on mating behavior and sexual play in the Squirrel Monkey (Saimiri sciureus). Primates 8: 229-246. 1967.
- Sociobiological implications of unusual sexual behaviors of gulls: the genotype/behavioral phenotype problem. Ethology and Sociobiology 2:135-145. 1981.
- Egalitarian resolution of social conflicts: a study of pair-bonded gulls in nest duty and feeding contexts. Z. Tierpsychol. 70: 123-147. 1985.
- Territory defense and associated vocalizations of Western Gulls. J. Field Ornithology 57:1-15. 1986.
- Resolution of Social Conflicts: Dominance, Egalitarianism, Spheres of Dominance and Game Theory, Quart. Rev. Biol. 61:201-220. 1986
- Hand, Southern, & Vermeer (eds.), Ecology and Behavior of Gulls; Studies in Avian Biology, No. 10, 1987.
- Pierotti, Annett, & Hand, Male and Female Perceptions of Pair-bond Dynamics: Monogamy in the Western Gull, Larus occidentalis. In: Feminism and Evolutionary Biology: Boundaries, Intersections, and Frontiers, Patricia Adair Gowaty, ed., 261-275. NY: Chapman and Hall.
- Voice of the Goddess, Pacific Rim Press, Cardiff: CA. 2001.
- Women, Power, and the Biology of Peace. Questpath Publishing. 2003
- A Future Without War. Questpath Publishing. 2006.
P R O F E S S I O N A L O R G A N I Z A T I O N S
- International Society for Human Ethology (ISHE)
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- American Ornithologists Union (AOU)
- Animal Behavior Society (ABS)
- Romance Writers of American (RWA)
- San Diego Professional Writers (SDPW)
- San Diego Book Forum (SDBF)